We’ve all been told time and time again, that a well-rounded and healthy lifestyle will help to lower our risk of getting cancer. We should quit smoking, have a healthy diet, exercise regularly, monitor our alcohol intake, and protect ourselves from the sun. But sometimes I need more specific information or ideas. What exactly is a healthy balanced diet and what can I eat that will reduce the risk of developing cancer?
You can achieve a healthy, balanced, and possibly cancer preventing, diet by eating:
- A minimum of five portions of fruits and vegetables (combined).
- Whole grain breads, rice, and pasta. It is important that the grains are whole grain, for the added fiber. Fiber will help reduce the chance of getting bowel cancer.
- A moderate amount of meat, fish, eggs, and other proteins. Eat unprocessed meat and avoid red meat.
- A moderate amount of dairy
- Very limited amount of high fat and sugar food items
It is important to keep a well-balanced diet instead of overloading on one particular food group. A healthy and balanced diet will do more than help lower your chances of getting cancer, it will also help you to feel better each day. Read on for more tips on reducing the risk of developing cancer.